Saturday, April 5, 2014

Belated birthday post for Alyson Hannigan

I actually wanted to post this a lot earlier, but didn't manage to come along. Still the occasion is too great to just skip it. Alyson Hannigan, pictured below, not exactly an unknown, but not really a big star either, who more and more became one of my favorite actresses during the last years, celebrated her 40th birthday on March 24th. If I had posted it on the big day itself, I would have titled the post "To Alyson on her 40th birthday", alluding to a 90's movie starring Michelle Pfeiffer that I have actually never seen, but almost two weeks later this seems ridiculous.


That's right, this woman is forty! Among all the compulsively trying to look youthful Hollywood stars, looking at her it's really hard to believe.
If you are a fellow Alyson fan, still you probably are not for the same reason as me. Let me put it this way: if you'd be referring to her as "Willow" in my company, rather than by her actual name, I'd have to constrain myself really hard not to punch you in the face. I've never actually had the slightest kind of interest in "Buffy: The Vampire Slayer" - there, I said it.
The first time I saw Alyson was watching the then barely ten years old movie "My Stepmother is an Alien" on television in the late nineties, and the next time I saw her, I remembered her name, but not her face. That was when I watched the then cult movie "American Pie" at the cinema with some friends. Just a few months ago I accidentally zapped into the middle of "My Stepmother is an Alien" again, and now I was actually surprised how recognizable then only 14-years-old Alyson was to me, somehow I imagined she had looked completely different.

But back to "American Pie", and this infamous scene:


I knew this from the trailers on television and we all laughed like crazy at this line in the theater, and when I found out that my friends, all die-hard Buffy fans, had not seen the trailers, and only laughed because to them she was "Willow", and "Willow" was a total prude, I was kind of pissed off. So don't you f**king call Alyson "Willow" to my face.

But she really won my heart as "Lily Aldrin" in "How I Met Your Mother", a show I've never intended to watch, because it sounded pretentious to me, and accidently grew to be an addict to. And Lily, who has all the crazy that any man should crave and fear in a woman, is my favorite character on the show. That's right, even before Barney!

In the end, to me, the actress Alyson Hannigan is a good-looking ageless woman, with girl-next-door qualities, and a brilliant comedienne who has played some IMHO iconic roles, and even made a movie that hardly anyone will agree with me was anything but really really bad almost enjoyable by starring in it: "Date Movie". (See, this is me, I love parody and persiflage movies among other things...however this is not one of the best!)

So, to celebrate her big birthday, here are some more pics, and one funny YouTube clip:

 14-years-old Alyson in "My Stepmother is an Alien"

With her flute in "American Pie"

 This is how she looked in some of "Date Movie"

Lily and Marshall (Jason Segel), the perfect couple from "How I Met Your Mother"

With her hubby Alexis Denisof, who also had a guest role in some episodes of HIMYM.



No comments:

Post a Comment